$50,000 donation establishes scholarship endowment at Wayne Law in honor of Congressman ConyersOctober 1, 2013
DETROIT – A $50,000 donation has established an endowed scholarship at Wayne State University Law School in honor of U.S. Rep. John Conyers Jr., D-Mich.
The gift was presented to Wayne Law Dean Jocelyn Benson on Sunday, Sept. 29, at Greater Grace Temple in Detroit during an event paying tribute to Conyers and his nearly 50 years representing the Detroit area in Congress. Conyers graduated from Wayne Law in 1958.
The $50,000 came from many of the sponsors of the tribute. The event sponsors included:
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- Clark Hill PLC
- Comerica Bank
- Detroit Medical Center Sinai-Grace Hospital
- DTE Energy Foundation
- First Independence Bank
- Henry Ford Health System
- Impact Network
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters
- Little Rock Baptist Church, Detroit
- MGM Grand Detroit
- Michigan Chronicle
- Namruff Productions
- Neighborhood Legal Services Michigan
- Real Times Media
- RoseTrinity Consulting LLC
- St. John Providence Health System
- TellUs Detroit
- United Auto Workers
- United Auto Workers – Chrysler Group LLC
- United Auto Workers – Ford Motor Co.
- United Auto Workers – General Motors Corp.
- United Auto Workers – Region 1A
- Wayne County Community College District
Benson noted the scholarship is another way that Conyers’ legacy is being honored at Wayne Law. In 2012, the congressman announced that Wayne Law’s Damon J. Keith Collection of African American Legal History will be the beneficiary of the papers and records of his decades in Congress. The materials include original documents related to his work promoting civil rights and social justice.
“We are grateful and honored that Wayne Law has been chosen again to pay tribute to the legacy of one of the greatest civil rights leaders or our time,” Benson said. “These scholarships will help our students and inspire them to serve in the great tradition of our alumni.”
Several attendees at Sunday’s event also made donations or pledges for the scholarship endowment. Additional donations and pledges continue to be received. To donate to the scholarship endowment, visit giving.wayne.edu and indicate your gift is for the John Conyers Jr. scholarship endowment. For more details about the endowment, call Matt Cunningham at (313) 577-0749.
Photo: U.S. Rep. John Conyers Jr.
- Contact: Shawn Starkey
- Voice: 313-577-4629
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org