Wayne State University Alumni Association hosting annual awards gala May 7April 25, 2012
DETROIT - The Wayne State University Alumni Association will honor the achievements of outstanding individuals who exemplify the Wayne State spirit of achievement, excellence and service during the annual Alumni Awards Gala, to be held from 5-6:30 p.m. on Monday, May 7, 2012, at Ford Field in Detroit.
The following awards will be presented this year:
Distinguished Alumni Award
Presented to alumni who meet one or more of the following criteria: outstanding service to the university over a period of years; personal accomplishments that enhance the prestige of WSU; distinguished service or accomplishment in any field of human endeavor; or singular contributions to the development of the cultural or spiritual life of any community.
- N. Charles Anderson, ‘81 Lifelong Learning, president and CEO, Detroit Urban League
- Nancy G. Edmunds, ‘76 Law, U.S. District Judge, Eastern District of Michigan
Recent Alumni Award
Recognizes an individual who demonstrates outstanding professional achievement, community contributions or service to the university, and has received an undergraduate degree or certificate in the past 10 years.
- Nick Schroeck, '07 Law, executive director, Great Lakes Environmental Law Center
Homer D. Strong Award
Presented for distinguished leadership and service to the alumni association and the university, for stimulating alumni participation and significantly benefiting the university through volunteer leadership.
- James M. Garavaglia (posthumously), '76 M.A. Liberal Arts and '86 Ph.D., past president, WSU Alumni Association
- Angela Rankin-Yohannes, '73 Business, past president, WSU Alumni Association
Special Recognition Awards
- Rob Fournier, director, WSU Athletics
- Paul Winters, head coach, WSU Warriors football team
This year's event features the awards program and a reception in the Rooftop Suite at Ford Field. Both activities are free; however, space is limited and reservations are required. Visit alumni.wayne.edu/events or call 877-WSU-ALUM to make a reservation. Complimentary parking is available in the Ford Field Parking Deck, located on the east side of the stadium on St. Antoine Street by Entrance G.
Wayne State University is a premier urban research institution offering more than 400 academic programs through 13 schools and colleges to nearly 32,000 students.